Friday, 19 July 2013

100 books to get started

Hello there! You can probably tell where this is going just from reading my blog’s title, but I would feel terribly rude if I didn’t introduce myself, so here goes - my name is Clare and as you may have guessed, I read books.

If you spend as much time here on the Internet as I do (which, let's face it, you probably don’t), you may have seen the BBC Book List Challenge circulating around Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and various other Social Media hubs. If not, it is essentially a list of one hundred famous, popular, classic or otherwise special books, compiled by the BBC and appearing on a website called Goodreads. You can find the original list here in its natural habitat. The BBC has estimated that the average person will have read just six of these one hundred books.
 
Being an avid reader and determined to prove myself ‘above average’, I thought this would be a great way to start off my book blog – it should give you an idea of the kind of books I like to read1, and we can compare scores. I’ve made a link to a downloadable version of the list as a Microsoft Word file, so you’ll be able to save a copy, or even print one out and tick the books off with a pen! How quaint! Click here to download a copy.

Needless to say, the books that I have crossed off are the ones that I have read. Let’s get cracking!

 
☒  1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
By J.K. Rowling
☐  51. His Dark Materials            
By Philip Pullman
☒  2. The Da Vinci Code               
By Dan Brown
☒  52. Winnie the Pooh
By A.A. Milne
☒  3. To Kill a Mockingbird          
By Harper Lee
☐  53. Anne of Green Gables   
By L.M. Montgomery
☐  4. The Little Prince   
By Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
☐  54. Anna Karenina   
By Leo Tolstoy
☐  5. Animal Farm          
By George Orwell
☐  55. Persuasion          
By Jane Austen
☒  6. The Lord of the Rings        
By J.R.R. Tolkien
☐  56. A Prayer for Owen Meany            
By John Irving
☐  7. The Alchemist      
By Paulo Coelho
☐  57. Vanity Fair           
By William Makepeace Thackeray
☒  8. 1984          
By George Orwell
☐  58. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time         
By Mark Haddon
☒  9. Pride and Prejudice           
By Jane Austen
☐  59. The Complete Works
By William Shakespeare
☒  10. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
By Douglas Adams
☐  60. A Clockwork Orange        
By Anthony Burgess
☒  11. Wuthering Heights           
By Emily Brontë
☐  61. Tess of the d’Urbervilles
By Thomas Hardy
☒  12. The Hobbit          
By J.R.R Tolkien
☐  62. Les Miserablés   
By Victor Hugo
☐  13. The Count of Monte Cristo           
By Alexandre Dumas
☐  63. Corelli’s Mandolin            
By Louis de Bernières
☐  14. Catch-22               
By Joseph Heller
☒  64. Oliver Twist         
By Charles Dickens
☒  15. The Catcher in the Rye   
By J.D. Salinger
☐  65. A Fine Balance   
By Rohinton Mistry
☐  16. The Secret Garden
By Frances Hodgson Burnett
☐  66. The Bell Jar
By Sylvia Plath
☒  17. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
By Roald Dahl
☐  67. David Copperfield            
By Charles Dickens
☐  18. Rebecca
By Daphne du Maurier
☐  68. War and Peace  
By Leo Tolstoy
☐  19. Life of Pi
By Yann Martel
☐  69. The Remains of the Day 
By Kazuo Ishiguro
☒  20. Lord of the Flies
By William Golding
☐  70. Madame Bovary
By Gustave Flaubert
☐  21. A Tale of Two Cities         
By Charles Dickens
☐  71. Lolita      
By Vladimir Nabokov
☐  22. Memoirs of a Geisha       
By Arthur Golden
☒  72. The Wind in the Willows
By Kenneth Grahame
☐  23. Gone With the Wind       
By Margaret Mitchell
☐  73. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
By Arthur Conan Doyle
☐  24. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
& Through the Looking-Glass     
By Lewis Carroll
☐  74. On the Road       
By Jack Kerouac
☒  25. A Christmas Carol             
By Charles Dickens
☐  75. Moby Dick
By Herman Melville
☒  26. Charlotte’s Web
By E.B. White
☐  76. Emma    
By Jane Austen
☒  27. Little Women
By Louisa May Alcott
☐  77. The Secret History            
By Donna Tartt
☐  28. Bridget Jones’s Diary       
By Helen Fielding
☐  78. Far from the Madding Crowd
By Thomas Hardy
☒  29. The Time Traveler’s Wife              
By Audrey Niffenegger
☐  79. The Handmaid’s Tale       
By Margaret Atwood
☒  30. Jane Eyre             
By Charlotte Brontë
☐  80. A Town Like Alice              
By Neville Shute
☐  31. The Bible
By Anonymous
☐  81. Cloud Atlas          
By David Mitchell
☐  32. The Grapes of Wrath      
By John Steinbeck
☒  82. The Faraway Tree Collection        
By Enid Blyton
☐  33. Atonement         
By Ian McEwan
☐  83. Birdsong               
By Sebastian Faulks
☒  34. The Great Gatsby
By F. Scott Fitzgerald
☐  84. Middlemarch
By George Eliot
☐  35. Brave New World             
By Aldous Huxley
☐  85. Bleak House        
By Charles Dickens
☐  36. The Kite Runner
By Khaled Hosseini
☐  86. Brideshead Revisited      
By Evelyn Waugh
☐  37. Dracula  
By Bram Stoker
☐  87. Possession          
By A.S. Byatt
☐  38. The Five People You Meet in Heaven
By Mitch Albom
☐  88. The Woman in White      
By Wilkie Collins
☐  39. Love in the Time of Cholera         
By Gabriel García Márquez
☐  89. Dune      
By Frank Herbert
☐  40. The Shadow of the Wind               
By Carlos Ruiz Zafón
☐  90. Cold Comfort Farm          
By Stella Gibbons
☐  41. Of Mice and Men             
By John Steinbeck
☐  91. Watership Down               
By Richard Adams
☒  42. Heart of Darkness            
By Joseph Conrad
☐  92. A Suitable Boy    
By Vikram Seth
☐  43. One Hundred Years of Solitude
By Gabriel García Márquez
☐  93. Jude the Obscure             
By Thomas Hardy
☐  44. Midnight’s Children         
By Salman Rushdie
☐  94. Notes from a Small Island             
By Bill Bryson
☒  45. The Chronicles of Narnia
By C.S. Lewis
☐  95. Ulysses 
By James Joyce
☐  46. Sense and Sensibility      
By Jane Austen
☐  96. Swallows and Amazons  
By Arthur Ransome
☐  47. The Lovely Bones
By Alice Sebold
☐  97. Germinal              
By Èmile Zola
☐  48. The Three Musketeers  
By Alexandre Dumas
☒  98. The Color Purple
By Alice Walker
☐  49. Crime and Punishment  
By Fyodor Dostoyevsky
☐  99. The Wasp Factory             
By Iain Banks
☐  50. Great Expectations          
By Charles Dickens
☐  100. A Confederacy of Dunces           
By John Kennedy Toole


Well that was fun! Altogether, I have read twenty-five of the books on the list, which is a quarter, so definitely better than six. I would have thought I had read more, but the biggest surprise was finding a couple that I’d never even heard of! I guess I have some catching up to do!

Clare Has Opinions!

Top 5 books2 I’ve read from the list:

Any big reader knows how impossible choosing a favourite book is, and even choosing from a list this small is way too hard! I think these are the five that I most enjoyed reading, but I reserve the right to change my mind. A lot.
1.       The Harry Potter series
2.       Wuthering Heights
3.       Pride and Prejudice
4.       The Da Vinci Code
5.       The Time Traveler’s Wife

Top 5 books I want to read from the list:
 
1.       Catch-22
2.       Dune
3.       One Hundred Years of Solitude
4.       Atonement
5.       Life of Pi

Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed this beginning to my blogload of ramblings. Share your score in the comments below and hopefully we can all celebrate being above average together!




1. Although, it is worth noting that I was forced to read some of these books for English in high school and therefore may not have enjoyed them. Heart of Darkness, I am looking at you!
2. This was originally a list of my top 3 books on the list, but then my head nearly exploded, so I had to make it bigger. The list, that is, not my head.

7 comments:

  1. i only have 28 and i'm 33, so you're off to a better start than i. catch 22 has had more influence on my life than any other book i have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm really looking forward to reading Catch 22, I've had lots of people recommend it to me, especially while I was learning programming.

      Delete
  2. I have read 24 and I must say I'm pleased to be above average! Are we friends on Goodreads Clare? I want to see all the books you've read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! I don't actually have a Goodreads account, but I've just been poking around and I'm thinking maybe I should make one!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, you really should, it's so fun adding all the books you've read, and the first thing I do when I finish a book these days is go and add it to my 'read' shelf and give it a star rating. I adore it.

      Delete
  3. I have read 19 but the internet has taken control of my life and I doubt that I will ever reach much higher than that. I already love the look of your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read 30 so I too am above average. YAY, happy dance :-) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete